Spring Break means road trips and beach volleyball! What's worse than being uncomfortable in your own skin when all you want to do is have fun in the sun? Here are a few tips to help get your body bikini ready in the month before the sweaters come off.
1. Cut out excess salt and sugar to lose water weight. For example, choose water instead of soda, and don’t salt your food.2
2. When you want one of those high-calorie snacks, switch it with something more healthful and rich in antioxidants. See below for a yummy recipe from Self magazine’s February issue.
3. Sleep! You eat less when your body is well-rested.2
4. Pick a workout and stick with it. Find some exercises you like and try to do them three times per week. Working with weights is great for toning muscles and developing that flat tummy everyone wants. Here are a few:
- Prisoner squat (abs, obliques, butt, thighs) – Stand with feet hip-width apart, ahnds behind head, elbows out. Squat; then stand, crunching left elbow to left hip. Squat. Repeat on right. Set = 30 seconds
- Kick-starter (abs) – Lie faceup with legs together, raised toward ceiling, feet flexed, hands behind head, elbows out, shoulders lifted. Lower left leg until it hovers above floor. Return to start. Repeat with right leg. This makes 1 rep. Alternate sides. Set = 30 seconds
- Walk it out (shoulders, chest, back, abs) – Start in a plank. Do a push-up. Place right had about 12 inches in front of you, then return to start. do a push-up. Repeat with left hand. Place right hand in front of you; bring left hand to meet it. Return right hand to start, then left Do a push-up. Set = 30 seconds1
5. Most important, pick something you like to wear and feel good in. It doesn't matter what size or shape the good Lord created you. If you feel good, you will ALWAYS look good. Enjoy yourself!
What do YOU do to help yourself feel good before bikini season?
Self Magazine – Fancy Oatmeal
Top 1 cup of steel-cut oatmeal with:
1 ½ tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 ½ tbsp. fresh or dried pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. chia seeds
(Tell me how you think it tastes!)
1Self Magazine, Feb. 2013
Glamour Magazine, Feb. 2013