Spring Break is just around the corner. If you're smart, you've already started planning, but if you're like me, you wait until a month or so before when all the hotel rooms are booking up fast and the odds of finding a good spot are looking bleak. You can still have a great Spring Break! AND you can do it without busting your budget.
Here are a few tips for saving a couple extra bucks:
Before the break
- First, and probably most obvious, get a group together. If you go with a few friends, you split the cost of a room, and only pay a fraction of the price.
- Plan ahead. Hotel rooms are often cheaper if you plan early.
- Start a piggy bank. It may sound silly, but if you put money in a place where you can't see it, you're more apt to save. At this point, it may be too late to save a whole lot, but you can at least save enough for a few meals!
- Also, cut down on small things that eat up big bucks. Don't eat out as often, and buy a few off-brand grocery items.
- Scour the bargain sites, like LivingSocial and Groupon. I found a great deal for a 3-night stay in Kissimmee for $139! I've been wanting to go to Disney World for a while, and this is perfect! With the money I save on the hotel, I'll have a day for the Magic Kingdom AND a day for the beach.
- Pack all supplies BEFORE the trip. Buying loads of sunblock, towels, sunglasses, and food can really up the cost of your trip. Make sure you've got what you need before you leave.
During the break
- Pack some food. Don't eat out ALL the time. You can save money if you make a few sandwiches for lunch and keep eating out to dinner.
- OR eat out at lunch for lower meal prices and save money by eating dinner in your room.
- Check Restaurant.com for deals on eating out. Sometimes they have gift certificates for $25 worth of food that only costs $2. This will really lower your eating costs and you'll still get to experience the fun of eating out. Seafood on Spring Break is a priority for me because I usually spend the time at the gulf.
- If you want to go to some attractions, check for deals at your destination. Groupon has coupons for cities all over the US!
- Don't buy dumb souvenirs. How many times have we all gone out and bought copious amounts of sand dollars, weird sunglasses or hats, and/or copious amounts of beads? Save yourself the dough and buy ONE thing that you'll use, or at least keep for a long time.
What are your Spring Break plans?