It's summertime at DSD and we're as thrilled as Olaf. (Little does he know, dorm season holds all the real fun.) We know you've got fun plans: going to the beach, camping, late nights out with friends, maybe an internship or summer job. DSD has some different, fun ideas for ways to spend your summer! Beat the boredom and try some of these!
1. Go to a ballgame! Down here in the south, lots of people are just begging for football season to start again, but baseball season is kickin'! Here in Birmingham, the Barons' new stadium is amazing, and they have specials on Thursday. The Atlanta Braves are just a two-hour drive away in Atlanta. Check out your nearest baseball team's game schedule and specials!
2. Volunteer. If you have time outside of a job, or don't have a job, spend some time doing some good in the world. You can volunteer for Habitat for Humanity building houses; spend time with someone younger like a friend, sibling, or a child in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program--being a role model can be fun; or even clean up your neighborhood/a nearby neighborhood to make your home a prettier place.
3. Learn something! Just because school is out doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise your brain. Learn to waterski or a new language. Learning can be great fun, and over the summer you get to choose!!!!
4. Build a fort. Be it with pillows on the couch or wood and nails outside, embrace your inner child. It never gets old.
5. Go to a museum, local festival (Birmingham has the Jazz Festival, Art Festival, and Sidewalk Film Festival over the summer) or do something cultural.
6. Plant a garden! I plant a garden with my grandfather nearly every summer. This season, we've planted tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini and crookneck squash, black-eyed peas, red beans, corn, and okra. If you do it right, you won't have to buy any produce all summer!
7. Build a time capsule for 10, 50, or 100 years down the road!
There are a TON of ways to pass the time this summer. No matter what you do, it will definitely go by too fast. Enjoy it and live it up!